Basic steps to website creation
We were recently asked ‘what do I need to get a website up and running?’ In response, we compiled the basic steps to website creation, which we thought we would share with our blog readers:
- Register a domain name. You need to choose and register a domain name. The domain name points to the address on the Web server where your website is hosted. You also need to choose domain extensions e.g. .com, co.uk, .uk, depending on your target audience.
- Choose a Web hosting option. The website requires to be hosted (or stored) on a Web server. The website designer/developer can usually arrange suitable Web hosting. See our Internet Services page for more information on web hosting and domain name registration and renewal.
- Website design and build. We would usually recommend a content managed website with a responsive design, giving you the control to manage the content within your website and ensuring it reads well across desktop, tablet and mobile devices. See our Website Design & Development page for more detail on web hosting and domain name registration and renewal.
- Create content. It is important to write/create good content and to optimise that content for search engine optimisation (SEO). SEO refers to the process of improving the position of your website in organic search results e.g. by Google. See our SEO blog category for tips.
- Google Analytics (optional). We would usually recommending adding Google Analytics, which is the industry standard in web analytics. It is a free service that generates detailed statistics about the visitors to a website, e.g. how visitors arrived at your site and how they use your site etc.
Of course, there are many more factors to consider, such as promoting your business online and trading online (eCommerce). Lanetech offers a full website design and development service. Please do get in touch if you would like to discuss a new website or a redesign.