At 08:00hrs on 10 June (2014), a new domain name will become available — .uk
The change follows in the footsteps of other countries such as France (.fr) and Germany (.de). The main benefits are: building trust — according to Nominet, 81% of people prefer .uk domains when searching or buying online; and a shorter, snappier domain name that puts focus on the website name. Existing domains such as co.uk and org.uk will continue to operate as they’ve done before. Registering a .uk version of your existing domain name will ensure that another individual or business doesn’t eventually nab it!
Please do get in touch if you are a Lanetech customer and would like to pre-order (or order) a .uk domain. In the meantime, our web services provider has produced the following helpful information about .uks:
- The reservation period for existing customers who already have a .co.uk, .org.uk, .me.uk, .net.uk, .ltd.uk or .plc.uk runs up until 07:59hrs on 10 June 2019.
- Domains registered before 23.59hrs on 28 October will have rights to the equivalent new .uk domain, provided there was no other corresponding .co.uk, .org.uk, .me.uk, .ltd.uk, .plc.uk or .net.uk registered.
- All .co.uk domains registered after 28 October 2013 and before the new .uk domains are launched will also have rights to the .uk equivalent, as long as there is no clash with any existing domains in the following situations: Where there are two or more domains with the same website name, the .co.uk will be offered the .uk equivalent. Where there is no .co.uk, the .org.uk will be offered the new .uk equivalent. Where there is no .co.uk or .org.uk the .me.uk will be offered the new .uk equivalent.
Right to reserve
- New registrations of .co.uk domains made before 08:00hrs on 10 June 2014 (provided that no other equivalent .org.uk, .me.uk, .net.uk, ltd.uk or .plc.uk exists) will get the rights to the new .uk domain.
- After launch on 10 June 2014 any new registrations within the .uk family (e.g. in .co.uk, .org.uk etc.) no longer get automatic rights to register the new .uk domain. So these new .uk domains become available for anyone to register.
- Anyone wanting a new .uk domain, where there are no existing domains with rights, will simply be able to register the new .uk domain.
For more information, please see the officicial.uk launch website.