Instagram is an online photo- and video- sharing social networking service. It’s a fun (and free!) platform to generate customer engagement and build brand awareness. Like any other social network, Instagram is based around finding people to follow and having people follow you. I’m following bunnymama – check it out – so cute! Instagram has been around for over 3 years and is very popular: over 150 million users. For this reason, businesses are increasingly using Instagram. Here are 5 quick tips to get started:
- Tag posts with hashtags. A hashtags is a word or phrase prefixed by a # sign. Posting content that is appealing to your target market tagged with relevant hashtags can greatly increase awareness of your business – think of hashtags as keywords for SEO. — According to Instagram, the top hashtag of 2013 was #love … yawn.
- Mix photos and videos. Don’t make all your posts about business! Balance fun/beautiful/highly personal photos and videos with pictures related to your business. This gives followers insight into life outside of work and an element of human connection.
- Connect your account to Facebook. Facebook owns Instagram, so not surprisingly the two platforms are very connected; it is easy to pull in or share your Instagram posts on Facebook to grow exposure.
- Foster relationships. Engagement and communication is key to a successful social media presence. So, if a follower has a genuine question or comment, reply to them. Likewise, follow back those that are interesting or relevant etc. and ‘like’ or comment on their posts.
- Analyse key metrics. Statigram is an analytics tool for measuring total number of likes received, most liked photos, follower growth charts and more. As with Google Analytics, the insights can help you optimise Instagram for business.